Tuesday, November 11, 2008

15

Alas, I didn't make it to Petersburg or any of the small outlying cities after all.  When my traveling mates and I showed up to the train station, the only tickets still available were overnight in an upright position, and we would have had to make the trip twice in three days, so we elected to sleep in our beds.  Secretly I was kind of keen to do it, but it was clear that the other two guys weren't.  Still, I'm quite glad that I stayed in Moscow, because several great, even terrific, things happened over the week or so I was here and didn't have class.  First, and best, of all, I found some work teaching English to wealthy Muscovites' children.  I won't say much  more since such practices are almost certainly unlawful, but it's been great.  Acquaintances in the higher social sphere here, you can't have too many of them.  Otherwise, I did a number of things of interest here in Moscow, including going to see Mozart's Requiem and running in a 30 km cross country race.  Last Tuesday was the Day of National Unity, but the holiday has changed so much with the years that most Russians don't even really know what it means--they're just glad for a day off from work.  I look at a stock ticker outside my window and all the arrows are red and aiming downward, and, however little I know about the U.S.'s financial crisis, I know Russia's is worse.

4 comments:

Wenonga said...

30K? Is that a type-o? What kind of beer did they serve at the finish line? Pay no attention to the stock reports; all it means is that you will never be able to retire on accumulated wealth. But perhaps you weren't planning to do so anyway.

LB said...

i certainly hope to retire on accumulated wealth...around 30 I hope...

Alexander Goforth Geer said...

The economy here is definitely circling the drain. I had been under the impression that it was determined by children drawing on graphs with red crayons, but apparently there are several other more important factors, like money.

Lots of questions:

When do you get back?

Can I borrow your cello? (I'm recording something.)

Katie said...

Putin was in town the other day. He sends his regards. P.S. Have you seen this? http://current.com/items/89257715/putin_saves_tv_crew_from_escaped_tiger.htm